Friday, 26 February 2010
I learnt SO much. Yes I've read a lot of "How To" books - Kate's included - but there is no substitute for the real thing. Kate was so giving of her time - even though on Saturday evening (when she didn't have to btw) she gave us an additional workshop when she clearly wasn't feeling the best.
One of the things that was clear to most of us was that we all felt we would benefit from an advanced course on romance writing; and I believe this is going to happen. So armed with my £10.00 deposit I've booked myself on next year's course (God willing) and I can't wait to meet Kate again for "Part 2".
What did I learn? Loads and loads. Too much to blog about. The main thing? I need to get my bum on the seat and write. So saying that I have been good this past week and as of 8pm this evening I've typed an extra 8k on the current wip. This is good, as I have serious issues with the word count on this wip. I still need to find another 9k or so. But this is dooable. I need to layer in description/character/background etc. so I'm hopeful of making up the shortfall.
Take care. Caroline x
Tuesday, 23 February 2010
Can't ramble on for too much as I've got to go to work - but all I will say is that Kate's workshop weekend has fired me up so much that I want to write so much that I will now - finally - keep to one of my New Year's Resolutions. The one that said "less blogging and more writing". I am severely going to limit myself (promise!) to no more than 1/2 an hour a day from now on! Yay! Thank's Kate. It was great! Caroline x
Monday, 15 February 2010
At long last I've got myself an outfit for my wedding! This had been causing me major stress I can tell you. The photo on the left is the fascinator that goes with the outfit....
Will be back next week to post about how wonderful a time I had at Kate Walker's writing weekend in Fishguard! Take care - Caroline x
Saturday, 6 February 2010
1. "There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at the typewriter and open a vein." Red Smith.
2. "So you want to be a writer? I offer one simple piece of advice - "Don't give up your day job!"" - Dallas Schulze
3. "It's a damn good story. If you have any comments, write them on the back of a check." Erle Stanley Gardner
4. "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." Rudyard Kipling
5. "I hate writing, but I love having written." Dorothy Parker
6. "It takes a great deal of history to produce a little literature." Henry James
7. "There are three rules to writing fiction. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." Somerset Maughan
8. "My main advice is to get a cat. They're the best possible company while you're writing, and provide an excellent object lesson in how to cope when things aren't going well. Lie by the radiator, and go to sleep." Michael Marshall Smith.
9. "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." Tom Clancy. And finally (for now at least.....)
10. "I think, in a way you should find writing difficult - each new book should present a fresh challenge. I'd be very worried if I found it easy." Linda Newbery.
Wednesday, 3 February 2010
1. Wedding ring bought
2. Photographer booked
3. Reception booked
4. DH2b outfit bought
5. Invitations sent out (there's only 20 - so that wasn't too hard)
6. Registry Office booked
7. Girls at work are organising my hen night - lovely!
To Do List.
1. My outfit needs to be bought. Have booked a day off work next week and I'm dragging my poor mum around the shop until a) I get and outfit or b) I run screaming into the hills never to be seen again. Unfortunately b) is odds on favourite at the moment!!!
2. Need to get myself some flowers.
3. Need to arrange transport for my family (I am the *only* one in my family who drives!). So I need to organise a small mini bus to pick them all up etc. etc.
4. Need to get a cake.
1. No surprises here (for those who know me anyway) - but I have failed to lose any weight! (So sorry Kate (Hardy)). I'm one of those women who when stressed just eats. I've always envied friends and family who say "I'm so stressed I've lost 20 pounds." Grrrrrrrrrr.
2. Promised myself that as this is only a small informal wedding (which it is) I won't stress about it. FAILED Miserably. Can I blame the girls at work? *They* have been more concerned about the plans for the wedding than I have. "You haven't got an outfit yet? Aren't you worried?" "You haven't ordered flowers yet? Oh!" Ewwwww. Up until then I wasn't too bad - but I am now!!!!!!!! Got to have a break to cry into my tea.
Only consolation - DH2b loves me as I am! Thank goodness - but still - I do need to wear *something* nice!
As for writing? Well actually I have been doing edits on Book 3 funnily enough. It takes my mind off the above. That and blogging on my favourite sites. That helps enormously - and I've won 2 books in the last week - so a bonus.
Take care. Caroline x